Baked Plantain Chips?? 3 Healthy Snack Recipes
Finding healthy snacks that are both easy and tasty can be a challenge, however this video has 3 of my favourite recipes: Baked plantain chips, sweet potato chips and roasted chickpeas – all deliver on flavour and nutrition!
All the recipes double up as being great vegan snack recipes as well as gluten free snacks and oil free snacks so they’re great for serving at parties or travel snacks when options are sometimes pretty slim!
I advise doubling or even tripling the recipe so that you have enough to last you a little while because they don’t last long in my house! You can never go wrong with a good healthy chips recipe, and these are made even better being Caribbean snack recipes by using sweet potato, plantain and chana (chickpeas).
Plantain Chips Recipe:
• 1 Ripe Yellow Plantain
• Pinch of Salt
• Pinch of Cayenne Pepper (optional but highly recommended! ☺)
1. Preheat oven to 180c and line a baking tray with parchment
2. Cut off the top and bottom ends of the plantain then lightly score through the outer layer of the skin
3. Peel plantain at the opening
4. Use a mandolin set to the thinnest slice (1.5mm in video) or a knife to thinly slice plain into round chips
5. Place plantain on the baking tray so that they don’t overlap
6. Lightly sprinkle with salt and cayenne
7. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes
8. Carefully turn each slice of plantain, then return to the oven and bake for a further 7 – 10 minutes until plantain are crispy
9. Keep an eye out to make sure that the plantain chips don’t burn
10. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before eating and store in an airtight container
My Plantain Chip Recipe uses ripe yellow plantain. Many Caribbean snack recipes also use unripe or green plantain to make baked plantain chips. This results in a similar texture but there is no natural sweetness to be found in the final plantain chip. It’s up to personal preference of how you want the final plantain chip to taste.
Sweet Potato Chips Recipe Baked:
• 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes (either orange flesh or Jamaican Sweet Potato)
• Pinch of Salt
• Pinch of Smoked Paprika (optional but again, highly recommended!)
1. Preheat oven to 190c and line a baking tray with parchment paper. [NOTE: If cooking at the same time as plantain chips, keep oven at 180c and cook potato chips for roughly 5 minutes longer]
2. Thoroughly wash and dry potatoes, then cut off the top and bottom ends [NOTE: if not using organic sweet potatoes, peel first]
3. Use a mandolin set to the thinnest slice (1.5mm in video) or a knife to thinly slice plain into round chips
4. Place sweet potato slices on the baking tray so that they don’t overlap
5. Lightly sprinkle with salt and smoked paprika
6. Follow Steps 7 – 10 of Plantain Chips Recipe
For my Sweet Potato Chips Recipe Baked I recommend using the Jamaican variety to make the ultimate sweet potato chip! I also felt that for making sweet potato chips recipes in the oven, using the Jamaican variety produced a crispier sweet potato chip.
If you’re making sweet potato chips – or any vegetable chip for that matter, I would recommend leaving the skin on.
Roasted Chickpea Snacks Recipe (Chana Snack Recipe):
• 2 cans Chickpeas
• 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
• ½ teaspoon Cumin
• ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
• ¼ teaspoon Salt
• 10g Honey
1. Preheat oven to 200c
2. Drain chickpeas. Place kitchen roll on the platter plate, spread out chickpeas and pat dry as much as possible
3. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread the dried chickpeas out in one layer.
4. Grind salt on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes – turning once
5. Pour chickpeas into a bowl then add chilli powder, cumin, pepper, and honey.
6. Mixed thoroughly then return to baking tray
7. Bake for a further 15 – 20 minutes
8. Open oven door and leave to cool before transferring into an airtight container
Not quite ‘vegetable chips’ but they definitely fall under healthy snacks and I’d even go as far as saying they were a healthy chips recipe too! Roasted chickpeas have a protein boost compared to both the sweet potato chips and the plantain chips so they make great workout healthy snack.
I recommend trying these oil free snack recipes before brining out the deep fryer! These are the ‘healthiest’ of healthy snacks!
Do you think these oil free healthy snack recipes will measure up? I’d love to hear from you, please like, comment and subscribe!
For my favourite summer slaw recipe– see my last video on Low Carb Vegetables
For more taste-testing. Check out my Best Milk Substitute For Coffee video:
Want to get to know me?
Follow me on Instagram:
#BakedPlantainChips #HealthySnackRecipes #HealthyRecipes #WholeFoodPlantBasedDiet #Vegan #WholeElise